5 Ways To Involve Yourself During World Animal Day
Did you know that we are experiencing 1 to 5 species extinction on a yearly basis? Or that we have up to 600 million stray animals all over the world that suffer lives of misery? At this rate, the world could lose 30% of its animal inhabitants by 2050 and most likely that strays will continue living in harsh conditions if we humans don’t do something to help them. The future will be a scary place for humankinds, animals and the planet itself.
Animal cruelty and extinction is inevitable, but we can find ways to help them and slow down the extinction process by treating our animals right. Join the annual celebration of World Animal Day on 4 October because through increased awareness and education, we can improve the standards of animal welfare throughout the world!
Here are 5 great ways for you to be involved:
- Donate (according to your comfort level) to non-profit organizations or animal shelters. For example, World Wildlife Fund, Green Peace, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA Selangor), Paws Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) and many more.
- Volunteer your time at a local shelter or animal sanctuary. Taking care of animals is no easy tasks, so if you’re an animal lover or keen to know more about caring for animals, volunteering is a great place to start. And you might help to cheer up some animals’ day because of your presence!
- Educate yourself. Read up on animal issues and how to help. There are many sources for you to access to – everything is just a tap or click away.
- Show your own animal a little extra love. Go for an extra walk, make your pet’s favorite meal, buy a fun toy or treat your pet to an afternoon of fun. You can also extend the same kindness to strays by offering kibbles and water or sponsor them to be neutered and spayed at animal clinics to reduce the numbers of future strays. Most importantly, do not disturb or aggravate them as they are already living a hard live, so let’s not make it any tougher for them.
- Avoid products that hurt animals. Educate yourself about where your food comes from and how your clothes are made. With this knowledge, we have the power to make conscious decisions to help end unnecessary animal cruelties.
In fact, all these actions are not limited to a 1-day celebration. We can practice a few or all the above anytime and any day of the year! Through this quick sharing, we hope that everyone can be a little bit more loving and caring towards the animals (wild or domestic) – after all, we breathe the same air and live on the same earth, so start seeing and treating them as equals.
Lastly, IPC will have a simple on-ground activation and some fun giveaways to our shoppers and Små Club members from 2 – 4 October 2021. So, feel free to read on about it here: ipc.com.my/worldanimalday2021
Happy World Animal Day, everyone!